I’m so aggravated! As if it isn’t bad enough that big name publishing companies do shady deals with their own writers, now the’re preying on the hopeful, with dreams-in-their-eyes newbies.
Grrr….pisses me off. Sorry for the language, but it does.
Simon & Schuster has gone into business with Author Solutions, a company well known for bilking unknowing writers of hard earned cash in publishing deals. They overcharge, over-sell, take rights that aren’t theirs. There’s a well-documented list over the past several years.
Read David Gaughran’s blog post here. And check out Writer Beware.
Basically, Simon & Schuster created Archway Publishing, a business working in tandem with Author Solutions offering ‘self-publishing contracts’.
First off- it’s not self-publishing if you contract through a company to publish a book. That’s called VANITY publishing. And let’s look at what you get when you vanity publish through Archway Publishing.
For only $2000, you get…fluff. You get exactly what you WOULD get if you actually SELF-PUBLISHED yourself, in the truest sense of the term.
- Amazon and Google search programs- okay, basically you’re listed with Google and Amazon.
- ISBN- okay, well, several of the publishing sites don’t even require an ISBN, but if they do, if you go through Smashwords it’s free.
- Personalized Archway Publishing Bookstore Page- Whoo hoo.
- Barnes and Noble- Look inside the book option. Okay, again, if you self-publish with B & N on the Pubit platform yourself you will receive this. FREE.
- Standard cover design- meh, not impressed with their examples. But, of course, you can PAY THEM for a better cover.
- ‘Editorial Assessment’- Okay, it even says in their info this is not actual editing. But, of course, YOU CAN PAY FOR EDITING THROUGH THEM. WHICH MAY PUSH YOUR BILL UP TO $5000!!!